Ah summer. Longer days, shorter nights, tanned skin, sun-kissed hair, bikinis and beaches, BBQs and bonfires. S'mores, burgers, potato salad - ugh - a summer gut?
No thank you. Here are 8 foods that stand for summer but also for "svelte", "slim", and "shealthy" (Ok, we cheated. Couldn't think of an "S" word that meant, well, healthy.)
1) Almonds: In a new study, replacing one of your usual snacks for 1.5 ounces of almonds has been proven to lead to less ab fat and thinner waists. Not to mention the added benefits of adding fiber, Vitamin E, and good fats.
2) Blueberries: packed full of antioxidents, a recent study showed that they help ward off muscle fatigue by mopping up the extra free radicals that muscles produce during exercise. So toss a handful back after your quick dip in the ocean.
3) Watermelon: 92% water, eating watermelon is a great way to stay hydrated. It is also a great snack to keep you feeling full in between meals without too many calories. Eating foods that are naturally full of water helps you feel satiated, while interestingly, drinking water alongside a snack does not have the same effect.
4) Tomatoes: did you know that lycopene, the carotenoid that makes tomatoes red, may keep you from getting a sunburn? not a substitute for sunscreen, of course, but participants of a recent study who were exposed to UV light had almost 50% less skin reddening after they ate 2 1/2 tablespoons of tomato paste. We believe Bloody Mary's count....(but don't quote us on that!).
5) Iced Tea: Freshly brewed ice tea is packed with antioxidants called flavonoids. Add a sprig of mint (which has one of the highest antioxidant capacity of any food), and some fresh lemons for Vitamin C, and if you must sweeten, replace white sugar with agave nectar.
Here's to a healthy summer!